Why is waterproofing your basement important to your property?
How do you use your basement? Is it a family hang-out spot or just a place to store some of your belongings? Even if it’s a space you don’t use at all, it’s important to have it waterproofed. Why? We’ve got seven good reasons.
- Waterproofing your basement protects the foundation of your home. The basement is actually part of the foundation, so keeping it in good shape helps keep your home’s structure safe and stable. If water is allowed to seep into the foundation, you risk damage to your home’s structural integrity. A waterproof basement helps prevent cracks in the foundation and increases your home’s stability.
- When your basement is waterproof, you can store things there without trepidation. Moisture in the basement can lead to mold, mildew, and water damage to anything stored down there. By waterproofing your basement, you’ll protect not only the basement itself but also the things you keep inside of it.
- A dry basement helps keep the rest of the house dry. Basements, because they’re below the foundation level, are prone to flooding. Rising groundwater and flash floods that cause basement flooding can also pose a threat to the rest of your home. Basement waterproofing, then, protects the entire building.
- Pests and mold are less likely to be found in a waterproofed basement. You probably know that in a damp basement, mold is a likely sight. Mold grows in dark, damp environments, and it’s important to keep it out of your basement to avoid health problems like allergies, asthma, and skin irritation. What you may not realize, though, is that a dark, damp basement is also a welcoming environment for pests. Especially if you don’t go down there very often, bugs and rodents are likely to consider your basement a safe haven. Waterproofing a basement keeps it clean, dry, and free of fungi and pests.
- Waterproofing your basement may reduce your energy costs. A moist basement may become warm, causing warm air to circulate through your home and raise your cooling costs. What’s more, water in the basement can lead to cracks in the foundation that allow outside air to come into the house. Waterproofing your basement makes your whole home more energy efficient.
- Keeping water out of your basement means no costly restoration from water damage. If your basement floods, you could be looking at a hefty repair bill. What’s more, flooding is something that’s not always covered by homeowners’ insurance. Save yourself the hassle and expense of repairing your basement and belongings by having your basement waterproofed before any water intrusion occurs.
- A waterproofed basement increases a home’s resale value. If your basement is dry and in good condition, it can be a real draw for a prospective homebuyer. Even if you’re not planning to sell any time soon, it’s good to know that you can boost your home’s value by waterproofing your basement.
If you need help keeping your basement dry, trust Reliable Basement Services to make the process hassle-free. A family-owned and operated company, we’ve served the greater Chicago area for over a decade. We offer a full spectrum of basement services including crack repairs, sump pump systems, basement waterproofing, basement windows, and floor repair. Our consistently high standards have made us an award-winning Chicago basement waterproofing contractor, so call us at (630) 777-0539 or visit our website.