Does your basement need waterproofing? If you’re not sure of the answer, consider this: your home is probably your most valuable investment, both financially and emotionally. A flooded basement or collapsed foundation could be catastrophic, not just in terms of the damage to your house, but also to the loss of belongings and family treasures. Waterproofing is important for every basement, but there are some signs to watch for that indicate a need for immediate attention.
- Does your basement smell musty or damp? This could be an indication of water seepage. Even if you don’t see signs of major damage like rotted wood, a dank smell is cause for concern.
- Mold should always be a concern. If there’s mold anywhere in your home, it’s time to call in an expert to determine how to eradicate it.
- A white chalky substance on the wall is a bad sign. This is called efflorescence, and it indicates the migration of salt to the surface of a porous material. While it’s not as serious as mold, it’s still bad, because it indicates that water is getting in through cracks and wall openings.
- Your walls and floors should be straight and free of cracks. Foundation wall cracks are not a problem that will resolve itself over time, and eventually, they will get worse. Hairline floor cracks can allow water seepage from underground, while larger cracks may be signs of a serious foundation problem. If your walls are bowed, curving inward or bulging, they can cause cracks that allow water infiltration. This can compromise the entire foundation if it’s not addressed.
- Water marks on your wall also indicate a problem. Walls with water stains mean that water has entered over the top of the foundation, and it’s likely to do it again if the basement isn’t waterproofed.
Even if you’re not experiencing any of these issues, waterproofing your basement is a smart idea. Sealing up little cracks and insulating your basement, for instance, reduces your energy bills and makes your basement more livable. Waterproofing your basement can also prevent mold growth, which is a major health hazard. When you waterproof your basement, you protect the home’s structural integrity by preventing foundation issues, and this adds value to your home. What’s more, a waterproofed basement is much easier to convert to usable living space, which also adds value, whether you plan to remodel it yourself or you’re making it possible for future buyers to convert it easily.
When you’re ready to waterproof your basement, call Reliable Basement Services. A family-owned and operated company, Reliable Basement Services has served the greater Chicagoland area for more than ten years. We offer a full spectrum of basement services, charging reasonable rates for work that includes crack repairs, sump pump systems, basement waterproofing, basement windows, and floor repair. Our consistently high standards have made us an award-winning Chicago basement waterproofing contractor and earned us thousands of satisfied customers all over Chicago. For more information, call (630) 777-0539 or visit our website for a free quote.