Having a waterproof basement when winter storms hit is important, but what if you didn’t get your basement waterproofed before the season started? Is there anything you can do once the ground has frozen? Do you have to wait until spring, or can you waterproof a basement in winter?
The answer is yes… and no. Obviously, some aspects of basement waterproofing are easier and better to do when the weather is warm and dry. In the winter, it’s more difficult to dig through frozen soil, and if the foundation wall or footing is left open for too long, the foundation can be damaged. What’s more, cleanup is more difficult in the winter if snow and soil are mixed together. It’s better to hold off on any large-scale excavations until the ground has thawed. However, there are some steps that can be taken to waterproof your basement at any time of year.
- Preventative measures can be taken. Leaky egress windows can be fixed, downspouts and gutters can be redirected to divert water at least eight feet from the house, and issues with the slope of the soil near the foundation can often be resolved, even in the winter.
- Cracks can be repaired in a poured concrete foundation. A technique called crack injection, involving the pressurized injection of resin, can be used on buildings for which excavation is not an option.
- A perimeter drainage system can be installed. This is very useful in preventing problems with concrete/cinder block foundations, which often develop cracks in the mortar joints.
- Interior drains can also be put in during winter months. A drainage tile system can redirect water from your foundation and towards a sump pump. This type of system usually works best in unfinished areas.
- Sump pumps can be installed year round. These pumps carry water from the interior of the house to the exterior using a pipe. They typically have sensors so that they can automatically detect the presence of water.
- Crews may be more available in winter. Because winter is not the optimal time of year for waterproofing, most people do this work in a different season. Fortunately for the procrastinators, this means that waterproofing companies do not experience the same level of demand during winter as in other times of year. This could mean your job gets scheduled sooner and is completed more quickly.
Regardless of the time of year, if your basement needs waterproofing, Reliable Basement Services can help. A family-owned and operated company, we’ve served the greater Chicagoland area for more than ten years. We offer a full spectrum of basement services, charging reasonable rates for work that includes crack repairs, sump pump systems, basement waterproofing, basement windows, and floor repair. Our consistently high standards have made us an award-winning Chicago basement waterproofing contractor and earned us thousands of satisfied customers all over Chicago. For more information, call (630) 777-0539 or visit our website for a free quote.